To be eligible, candidates must have:
- An internationally-recognized Master-equivalent degree. The degree must be in a field of science and engineering related to the ICFO research activities. Degrees issued within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) must have an equivalent to 300 ECTS, out of which a minimum of 60 ECTS must have been obtained in postgraduate studies. Please, if in doubt regarding your academic eligibility, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An excellent academic record, previous research experience and a strong commitment for scientific research.
- A high working knowledge of English.
Additionally, candidates for the ICFOstepstone COFUND PhD positions must comply with the following EU-rules by the time of activation of the PhD-contract:
- Candidates should not have resided in Spain for more than 12 of the last 36 months.
- The Master-equivalent degree should not be older than 4 years. Exceptions are made for documented periods of parental leave. Other equivalent exceptions may be considered when properly documented and motivated by the applicant, e.g, in case of applicants from underdeveloped countries, minorities, or for applicants that pursued their studies under comparatively unfavourable conditions.
No restrictions of citizenship apply to the ICFO International PhD Fellowship Program. Female graduates are strongly encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply.
The conditions of the PhD positions are as follows:
- Initial ICFO contract for a period of 6 months, while being pre-admitted to the PhD Program, with an explicit follow-up/ renewal procedure at the end of this first stage. During this period, students already take part in the ICFO working environment, join a research group, and work with their supervisor to define a research project.
- All ICFO fellowships include medical care coverage and work accident insurance through the Spanish Social Security system, providing access to the Spanish public health care system.
- The ICFOstepstone COFUND fellowship amount is at H2020 MSCA-COFUND level, subject to the stipulated fiscal and social security deductions. Note that these salary conditions are not applicable to the remaining fellowship schemes at ICFO (Standard conditions apply).
Specific additional eligibility requirements and conditions, such as mobility requirements, may apply to the different funding schemes available.